Monday, July 27, 2009

Things I Need To See Before I Die, #2

Ernest Hemingway was once given a six-fingered cat as a gift from a ship captain, as a symbol of luck. After his death in 1961, Hemingway's Key West home was converted into a Hemingway museum/six-fingered-cat refuge. Today there are over 50 cats living at the museum, of which approximately half have an extra toe/extra toes. 
Sometimes referred to as mitten cats due to the appearance of an extra thumb, these cats were often the target of paranoid villagers with pitchforks, who believed them to be the familiars of witches.

2 comments:

  1. Awww....i like cats so much better with little mittens. This post has made me happy, except for the paranoid villagers. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. My cat is a polydactyl too.
    It is the sweetest thing, but some people freak out when they see him. So rude!
    I also want to visit Hemingway's house and see my cat's "relatives" :)

    ReplyDelete